Lockheed Martin, headquartered in Bethesda, MD, is a global security company that employs about -- 6,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The corporation reported 2008 sales of $42.7 billion. It is one of four primary NRO contractors.
Lockheed Martin's operating units are organized into broad business areas:
* Aeronautics, with approximately $11.5 billion in 2008 sales, includes tactical aircraft, airlift, and aeronautical research and development lines of business.
* Electronic Systems, with approximately $11.6 billion in 2008 sales, includes missiles and fire control, naval systems, platform integration, simulation and training and energy programs lines of business.
* Information Systems & Global Services (IS&GS), with approximately $11.6 billion in 2008 sales, includes C4I, federal services, government and commercial IT solutions.
* Space Systems, with approximately $8 billion in 2008 sales, includes space launch, commercial satellites, government satellites, and strategic missiles lines of business.
Lockheed Martin Information Systems & Global Services (IS&GS), brings together the full range of Lockheed Martin's information competencies with an expansive global delivery capability. With more 52,000 highly skilled professionals, IS&GS is a leading federal services and Information Technology contractor with a strong heritage of delivering world-class solutions and delivering advanced technology across a broad spectrum of domains. IS&GS is organized into three reporting units: Mission Solutions, Information Systems and Global Services. Lockheed Martin Information Technology was formerly OAO Corporation.
Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company comprises two primary business units: Space Systems and Michoud Operations; and two joint ventures, United Space Alliance and United Launch Alliance. Space Systems Company designs, develops, tests, manufactures and operates a full spectrum of advanced-technology systems for national security, civil and commercial customers. Chief products include human space flight systems; a full range of remote sensing, navigation, meteorological and communications satellites and instruments; space observatories and interplanetary spacecraft; laser radar; fleet ballistic missiles; and missile defense systems.
United Launch Alliance, based in Denver, CO., a joint venture formed by Lockheed Martin and the Boeing Company in 2006, to provide Atlas and Delta launch services for the U.S. Government, including the Department of Defense, NASA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the National Reconnaissance Office.
Lockheed Martin Corporation was formed in March 1995 with the merger of Lockheed Corporation and Martin Marietta Corporation. On Sept. 2, 2008, Lockheed Martin announced that it had completed its acquisition of Aculight Corporation. Lockheed Martin acquired The SYTEX Group, Inc. (TSGI) in 2005.
Learn more about our sourcing and methodology »
Top Secret Work
Number of Locations
Number of Government Clients
- Management consulting and administration
- Air and satellite operations
- Border control
- Counter-IED explosives operations
- Disaster preparedness
- Ground force operations
- Weapons technology
- Human intelligence
- Intelligence analysis
- Law enforcement
- Naval operations
- Nuclear operations
- Building and personal security
- Specialized military operations
- Technical intelligence
Talk to Us
Want to contribute to this ongoing project?
Explore Lockheed Martin's Top Secret Relationships