Northern Command (NORTHCOM)
Headquartered in Colorado Springs, Colo.| Official Web site
U.S. Northern Command (USNORTHCOM) was established Oct. 1, 2002, to provide command and control of Department of Defense homeland security efforts and to coordinate defense support of civil authorities. NORTHCOM’s area of responsibility includes air, land and sea approaches and encompasses the continental United States, Alaska, Canada, Mexico and the surrounding water out to approximately 500 nautical miles. It also includes the Gulf of Mexico, the Straits of Florida, portions of the Caribbean region to include the Bahamas, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The commander of USNORTHCOM is responsible for theater security cooperation with Canada, Mexico and the Bahamas.
NORTHCOM’s headquarters is at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs. The commander of NORTHCOM also commands the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), a bi-national command responsible for aerospace warning, aerospace control and maritime warning for Canada, Alaska and the continental United States.
NORTHCOM's component commands are:
* U.S. Army North (ARNORTH), established Oct. 1, 2002, and located at Fort Sam Houston, Tex.
* Air Force North/1st Air Force, headquartered at Tyndall Air Force Base, near Panama City, Fla.
* U.S. Fleet Forces Command (USFF), located at Norfolk
NORTHCOM's subordinate commands are:
* Joint Force Headquarters National Capital Region (JFHQ-NCR), based at Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
* Joint Task Force Alaska (JTF-AK), headquartered at Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
* Joint Task Force Civil Support (JTF-CS), headquartered at Fort Monroe in Hampton, Va.
* Joint Task Force North (JTF North), based at Biggs Army Airfield, Fort Bliss, Tex.
Learn more about our sourcing and methodology »
Top Secret Work
Number of Work Locations
Number of Contracting Clients
- Management consulting and administration
- Border control
- Counter-drug operations
- Disaster preparedness
- Facilities and Infrastructure
- Ground force operations
- Information technology
- Intelligence analysis
- Law enforcement
- Staffing and personnel
- Psychological operations
- Building and personal security
Talk to Us
Want to contribute to this ongoing project?
Northern Command Headquarters
Explore Northern Command's Top Secret Relationships